Friday, March 11, 2011

Henry Knox: Bookseller, Solider, Patriot

In a few weeks the hallway leading to my school's intermediate wing will come alive with images of George Washington, Molly Pitcher, Ann Hennis Bailey, Paul Revere, and Henry Knox. Undoubtedly, scenes from Anita Silvey's Henry Knox: Bookseller, Soldier, Patriot will race through my mind as I pass Henry Knox. I will stop and give him a wave.

Why will independent dames and lads gather in the hallway? Well, one of the fifth grade social studies requirements is to read a biography about a person who lived during colonial America. They "interview" the figure, write a biography poem, and create a speaking avatar. Earlier this week, I shared colonial America resources and booktalked titles about the Revolutionary War. Anita Silvey's Henry Knox rode shotgun during each booktalk. Every library's 355.0092 section needs a copy.

Thank you, Anita Silvey, for your daily dose of inspiration.

Browse inside Henry Knox: Bookseller, Solider, Patriot.

Anita's Children's Book-A-Day Almanac is a bibliophile's best friend.

Anita Silvey discusssed Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book at the 2010 National Book Festival.

Anita loves to share information about Dr. Seuss.

"I always say that children read for story, or plot, or they read for character."-Anita Silvey

Anita keeps a first edition of The Secret Garden next to her writing desk.

A student-created book trailer for I'll Pass for Your Comrade:Women Soldiers in the Civil War.

Borrow Anita Silvey's books from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment