Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Happy 95th Birthday, Beverly Cleary!


Today is Newbery Medal-winning author Beverly Cleary's 95th birthday. I asked children and adults what they liked about Beverly's books. Everyone was willing and excited to chat about Beverly and Ramona.


*"My favorite book is Ramona and Beezus. It reminds me of my sister and me." -5th grader


*"I like Muggie Maggie. We read it in second grade." -3rd grader


*"I loved Ramona's World. It is a great book!" -5th grader


*"I love Ramona Quimby, Age 8! It reminded me of how much I disliked learning cursive." 5th grader


*I think Ramona is very cute in all the books." -5th grader


*I read the entire Ramona series in 8 days." -Mr. Schu


*I loved all of the Ramona books." -Alyson


*The Ramona books. Ramona brought me such joy--she was unabashed and rambunctious...kinda like me as a kid. :)" -Lucia


*"I remember Ramona getting into all sorts of mischief. She always seemed like she had so much fun. I secretly wished I had some michevious adventures like she did." -Donna


*When I was about 7 years old, life didn't get much better than a Ramona book. I remember laughing a lot. - @Bibliophile81


*"Ramona and Beezus is my favorite. 50 years ago I was Ramona--still am today!" -Randi Alison


*"My favorite book is Ramona and Her Mother. Her books are very relatable. I clearly remember as a child wanting to put all the toothpaste in the sink like her, but was too scared that I would have to use it all in a bag. She [Beverly Cleary] is the reason I became a teacher and LOVE books." -Angela Kroner


*When Ramona jumped through the hole in her house, I met a friend for life." -Sarah

*Definitely Ramona and Her Father. I love her persistent compassion. And the car ride to the pageant was a great moment." -Sasha



"I think the emotions of children don't change--their life situations change." -Beverly Cleary

Beverly Cleary answers questions about her books and her life as a writer.


Ramona and Beezus was released in movie theaters on July 23, 2010.


Enter The World of Beverly Cleary. Make sure you check out Fun & Games.

Grab a book and drop everything and read. Celebrate D.E.A.R. Day every April 12.
Today Anita Silvey's Children's Book-A-Day Almanac celebrates Henry Huggins and Beverly's 95th birthday.


Anita Silvey discusses Beverly Cleary's life and books.

Where I Read This Summer: On Klickitat Street


I read on Klickitat Street.
Borrow Beverly Cleary's books from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops.

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading Dear Mr. Henshaw in the class to my 4th graders before I became a stay at home dad. I haven't read many other of her books, but my daughter is starting to check them out. So much to look forward to with my kids.

    We read one of her picture books last night before bed for her birthday, The Growing Up Feet. They loved it.

    I mention this book along with provide lots of Dear Mr. Henshaw material on my blog for her birthday:
    http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2011/04/happy-birthday-beverly-cleary-april-12.html

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric--Thank you for sharing a link to your blog and for reminding me to include Anita Silvey's video talking about Cleary. I had it listed in my resources and must have accidently deleted it. Thank you!!! -John

    ReplyDelete