Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My #ALA11 Shirts

Packing for ALA '11 was not an easy task. New Orleans is HOT AND HUMID. I ended up packing multiple short-sleeve shirts (100% cotton). I even bought two new shirts for the trip.

David Diaz, recipient of the 1995 Caldecott Medal for Smoky Night, took an ordinary Banana Republic shirt and made it a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork.

Eric Wight draws Frankie Pickle and Argyle.

Ellen Hopkins is an award-winning young adult author.

Katie Davis is the illustrator of Little Chicken's Big Day.

Dianne de Las Casas talks about her new picture book, There's a Dragon in the Library.

Dan Santat's Sidekicks will be released on July 1, 2011.

Squish is Jennifer and Matthew Holm's new graphic novel series.

Travis Jonker is a teacher-librarian and blogger.

Where should I display my #ALA11 shirts? Suggestions encouraged.


  1. On a clothesline in your library?

  2. on the refdesk, so I'll have to watch the videos later. But yes, on a clothesline at your library.

  3. You need to frame them and hang them in the library...down low so the kids can really appreciate them. With the author's books around them.

  4. Does your school have a skeleton or torso showing internal organs for human body units? If so, commission it as your model!

  5. I love all of your comments. @Mshoughtonclass, I'll check with the science teacher. Thanks!

  6. Clearly, I left the party too early! And I have an orange Sharpie and everything. Oh, well. Next time, next shirt, I'll be ready!