Sunday, August 7, 2011

The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade

It's the dog days of summer and I am starting to plan for the upcoming school year. The first weeks of school are devoted to getting to know students, talking about what they read over the summer, and delivering hundreds of book talks. The first lesson of the year always begins with a picture book read-aloud. I have selected the perfect picture book for each homeroom, but I'm still debating chapter book read-alouds for first-and second- grade students. Thanks to Jane Schoenberg, it was easy selecting the first chapter book read-aloud for second grade. I will introduce them to The One and Only Stuey Lewis:Stories from the Second Grade.

Why Will I Share Stuey Lewis?

1. Second graders will relate to Stuey Lewis and his classmates.

2. It is broken into four funny short stories. Stuey learns to be a reading wizard, devises a plan to get the most Halloween candy, debates walking in his brother's footsteps, and learns to be nice to the big know-it-all. We will read one story per week.

3. Stuey's teacher goes by Ginger, although Stuey prefers calling her Ms. Curtis. She reminds me of Esme Codell.

4. Cambria Evans's pen-and-ink illustrations will appeal to second graders.

Browse inside The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade.

Review copy from Farrar Straus Giroux

Borrow The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshop.


  1. Do you have the kids on consecutive days when you read chapter books to them?

  2. Yes...I was wondering the same question as Franki. I only have my second graders once a week, so I was wondering if you did too.