Monday, October 3, 2011

Caveman, A B.C. Story



I'm thrilled to welcome author and illustrator Janee Trasler to Watch. Connect. Read. Her newest picture book, Caveman, A B.C. Story, kept my kindergartners laughing from A to Z. Thank you, Janee, for answering questions about Caveman, A B.C. Story and your writing process

*Mr. Schu: Please describe Caveman, A B.C. Story in six words.

Janee Trasler: A pre-hysterical romp through the alphabet.

*Mr. Schu: How did you decide on the 26 words used in the book?

Janee Trasler: The words “pet,” “quiet,” and “run” came first. The picture of a caveman and his pet trying to sneak by a sleeping dinosaur and then running away just seemed really funny to me. In some places, I let the story decide which word I would use, and in other spots, the letter dictated the story. For instance, the letter “X” (x-ray) pretty much steered the story from “V” (vine) through “Y” (yay).

*Mr. Schu: Do you think Caveman will show up in more books? Possibly in a counting/number book?

Janee Trasler: Great question! As a matter of fact, I’ve already written a Caveman counting story, made a mock-up (dummy book) with sketches, and sent it off to my editor. Now I’m just waiting to hear how my editor and publisher think it might fit with their other books.

Waiting to hear if a new story will become a book is the worst part of my job. It's very hard to work with your fingers crossed.


*Mr. Schu: What's the best thing about being an author and an illustrator?

Janee Trasler: The best thing about being an author or an illustrator, for me, is getting the chance to tell stories and make other people laugh. I LOVE hearing someone laugh out loud when they read my books.

The best part of being both an author AND an illustrator is that I get a lot of control over which parts of my stories show up in the text and which parts are told only in the illustrations. Most of Caveman, A B.C. Story is told in the pictures.


*Mr. Schu: Who should read Caveman, A B.C. Story?

Janee Trasler: Anyone who likes slapstick comedy will enjoy this book—whether they’re reading on their own yet or not.

*image taken from here


Janee Trasler lives in Grapevine, Texas. She has written and illustrated books for Scholastic, Sterling, Little Brown & Company, Random House, Houghton Mifflin, and more. Her most recent picture books are Caveman, A B.C. Story and Benny's Chocolate Bunny.


*image taken from here


Visit Janee Trasler's website to learn more about Caveman, A B.C. Story.


Borrow Caveman, A B.C. Story from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support your independent bookshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment