Monday, October 10, 2011

Heart And Soul: The Story of America and African Americans by Kadir Nelson



Kadir Nelson's Heart and Soul just moved to the top of my Sibert Medal shortlist. It is the most distinguished and powerful informational book I've read this year. When I booktalk Heart and Soul to my fifth graders, I'll share this photograph that shows some of the words and phrases that came to mind while reading it.

photo.JPG



NPR Books

"I love my grandmother to pieces, so I thought maybe I'd use my grandmother's voice because she really gives it to you straight, she's the matriarch of our family. But I also wanted to sweeten it up a little bit." -Kadir Nelson, from his interview on NPR.


Read a note from Kadir Nelson.


HEART AND SOUL: The Story of America and African Americans

Borrow Kadir Nelson's Heart and Soul from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this book. I'm so impressed with the whole process that the author/illustrator went through. I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

    Stacey (Library Gals)

    ReplyDelete