Friday, June 29, 2012

Colby Sharp Discusses Linda Urban's School Visit

Mr. Colby Sharp is a children’s literature enthusiast. He connects his fourth graders with authors and members of his professional learning network. I invited him on Watch. Connect. Read. to discuss Linda Urban’s visit to his classroom.

I wrote seven sentence starters and asked Colby to complete each sentence using fewer than twenty words.

*We prepared for. Ms. Urban's visit by reading Hound Dog True, studying Linda's website, reading about her visit to Brook Forest, and decorating the classroom.

*Ms. Linda Urban is one of the nicest, most generous, and intelligent people I have ever met.

*My fourth graders learned more from Mattie Breen than any other character they read all year.

l recommend A Crooked Kind of Perfect to boys, girls, adults, former students, current students, and anyone else who I think would benefit from Zoe's story (EVERYONE).

*Hound Dog True is well written, as powerful, and as important as Because of Winn-Dixie.

*Twenty years from now my students and I will remember Linda's story about when she was bullied as a child, and how that story helped lead to Hound Dog True.

*Mr. Schu, you should have asked me about how Linda found out a boy in our class was a huge fan of one of Linda's writing fans. Linda took a letter that he had written to the author and delivered it to the author.

Borrow Linda Urban's books from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment