Jen and Kellee host a weekly meme called "What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA." It encourages you to share what you read during the previous week and to plan what you're going to read/review during the current week. Thank you, Kelly and Jen, for hosting this fun meme.
Chris Raschka's seventeen-year-old son created the book trailer for A Ball for Daisy. It inspired me to re-read his father's award-winning wordless picture book.
Here's what I learned before page 5:
1. Boomer will become the first pig to ever compete in the Animal Olympics.
2. Brent Hamstring is a crabby reporter.
3. Boomer has a reputation for being "terrifically weird!"
4. Mama Pig is a delightful sow who knits shiny outfits for her son. (I'm convinced she was ABBA's costume designer.)
5. It has the subject headings athletes, Olympic games, pigs, reporters and reporting, self-confidence, and humorous stories.
Place the latest Babymouse volume on my desk and I will quickly flip it over to read the blurbs printed on the back. There is always a hilarious comment from someone in Babymouse's life: a teacher, a parent, a classmate. This Monster Needs a Haircut successfully uses the same idea. There are two clever comments on the jacket:
"ROAR!" -Albert Scareburg, Monster
"Page 19 is my favorite part." -Grimington Grime, Monster on Page 19
Clementine and the Family Meeting by Sara Pennypacker