Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Celebrate World Read Aloud Day on March 6

Not a school day goes by without at least two of these statements, commands, or questions leaving my mouth: 


* Have you read this book? 

* Wow, check out this book. It's the best thing since sliced bread. 

*Do you see how the illustrations perfectly match the text? 

* Do you have a moment? OK, please come over here. I want to share these books with you. 

* Do you mind if I read this book to you? I really want to hear what you like or dislike about it. 

The sixth asterisk is the best thing about my job. I read to kids. I discuss books with kids. I HEAR WHAT KIDS THINK ABOUT BOOKS. Kids are honest--brutally honest. Their opinions matter. 

I believe I'm a reader because my dear grandmother, first-grade teacher, second-grade teacher, and fifth-grade teacher read to me. They modeled what a good reader looks like. 

An idea just popped into my head. I'm going to set my timer for ninety seconds and type the first read-aloud memories that come to mind. 

Ready, set, go! 

1.  I'm asking my grandmother to read Goofy's Big Race just one more time. Please? 

2. My second-grade teacher introduces me to Fern, Wilbur, Templeton, and Charlotte. I fall in love with books. 

3. Dr. Mary Margaret Reed is reading aloud Matilda. Strangely enough, I can still visualize the giant purple ring she always wore. I haven't seen her in approximately twenty years. 

4. I'm crying while reading Out of the Dust to my fourth graders. 

5. I see eighteen teary-eyed fourth graders who feel Jesse's pain. You can hear a pin drop. 

6. A third-grade class is in the library to celebrate World Read Aloud Day with author Laurel Snyder. She reads a passage from Penny Dreadful

7. Kids start clapping bef (I'm out of time. Sorry!) 

That was fun! You should try it. Better yet, ask your students to record their favorite read-aloud memories and share them on World Read Aloud Day. Happy reading and connecting! 

"Imagine a world where everyone can read." -LitWorld


  1. Seeing the books here totally brought back some blast from the past memories too. I remember the Goofy book, as well as out of the dust. Great picks! I agree, because my mom and dad read out loud to me when I was little, I have grown a love for books. I wouldn't of without them doing so. :)

  2. Thanks for the work you do every day. I still remember my school librarian from Flower Hill Elementary School in Huntington, New York. I bet I could find my then-favorite books, too . . . from many years ago in that special space.

    I am your newest follower.

  3. Thanks for sharing those wonderful memories and providing the clips as well. I offer a story reading and craft program in our local kindergarten and first grade classes...I'll be reading 'Knuffle Bunny' and helping the kids make story boards the week before World Read-Aloud Day.

    My first read-aloud memory: age 4, sitting on my mother's lap (a former nursery school teacher), listening to "The Little House" by Virginia Lee was a pretty new book at the time...and I lived in NYC...but my grandmother lived in Brooklyn (at the end of her street was a dirt road) and it seemed like her house in the book. My second vivid picture book memory: age the hospital to get my tonsils removed (quite the popular operation in those days)...and my parents brought me 'The Three Little Pigs' in a Golden Book format. When they left to go home, I clutched that book to my chest and would not let the nurses take it from was a part of my parents until I would see them again the next day.

    Sorry for the long comment...but memories are like that.:)

  4. What a great post! One of my first read-aloud memories is the student teacher in my second grade class reading us the "The Marvelous Land of Oz," the sequel to "The Wizard of Oz." Images of the Gump, Jack Pumpkinhead, and the Woggle Bug remain firm in my head, over 40 years later.

  5. I had to comment on this post because I can also remember my 2nd grade teacher reading Charlotte's Web aloud; that's when I knew I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up, so I could share books with kids too. Now I'm a school librarian, and as much as I enjoy the technology and the collaboration with teachers and all the other aspects of my job, sharing books with kids is still my favorite thing to do at school.

  6. Sadly, I dont have any read aloud memories. But I do remember sitting on the couch with my dad as he taught me to read using the Little Bear book. Does that count ? :-)