Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April 18 is Poem In Your Pocket Day


Every month is special in my school library, but I think April is extra special. We celebrate National Poetry Month, School Library Month, National Library Week, and Poem in Your Pocket Day. I don't want to pick a favorite celebration of the school year, but I think Poem in Your Pocket Day is right up there with World Read Aloud Day. There's nothing quite like stopping a second grader in the hall and saying, "I see you're wearing a sticker that says 'Happy Poem in Your Pocket Day! Ask me about my poem.'  Do you a have a moment to share your poem?" 

Let's pretend the child shares Bobbi Katz's poem "Put the World in Your Pocket." 
Pockets are nifty
for holding a quarter, 
for holding a key, 
                       or for holding a shell. 

But the world is full of many more things
that don't fit in pockets so well: 
You can't put spring in a pocket--
not summer,
not winter,
not fall. 

How could you pocket a giggle? 
An elephant won't fit at all!
Yet you can carry a sunset,
people, the sea, or a home
             neatly tucked inside a pocket, 
when they're tucked inside a poem. 


What poem will be in your pocket on April 18? 


I am giving away a copy of Pocket Poems


Rules for the Giveaway 

1. It will run from 4/2 to 11:59 P.M. on 4/4

2. You must be at least 13. 

3. Please pay it forward. 
  

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the inspiration. Will find a way to do something fun in my little branch. ~ jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. My poem is BEAR IN THERE by Shel Silverstein. (I like the part that goes, "And he lets out a roar. If you open the door." I roar it. Unless I'm in the library.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Schu,
    In honor of poetry month, my first graders will have daily poems in their pockets and share them with any one who asks what their poem of the day is...
    I would love to enter the drawing to win the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure which poem I'll choose to put in my pocket, but I'll find one. You can pocket that. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the video and the idea of wearing a sticker about Poem in Your Pocket Day! I'll to think about what poem I would have in my pocket. Two of my favorites are "Stopping By the Woods on A Snowy Evening" and "The Red Wheelbarrow."

    ReplyDelete