Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Newbery Challenge: Shiloh

Mr. Colby Sharp and I are reading every Newbery Medal-winning book. Today, we're talking about Shiloh, the winner of the 1992 Newbery Medal. 


Please visit Colby Sharp's blog to watch his video. 

"I think that so much is the reader's enthusiasm. My mother loved to read, my dad loved to dramatize. And just listening to their voices taking on different characters, hearing them laugh with me, just as we would laugh when a teacher would read a story aloud at school, which was so wonderful. That was the best part of the day." - Phyllis Reynolds Naylor


"And I went over to see and here was this terrified, dirty, thin tick covered dog, down on her, it was a female down on her belly just trembling and shaking. I've never seen a dog act that way before. And her tail was going and I reached out just to gently pet her and she was so terrified she kept shrinking away and I knew immediately she was an abused dog." - Phyllis Reynolds Naylor


"The Newbery changes everything. It doesn't necessarily have to, but, some are more popular than others, many people hadn't even heard of Shiloh when it won the Newbery Award. But instantly you get the feeling this is the same book that it was yesterday, it's the same book on the shelf and if it hadn't won the Newbery would it just have faded off into the background? You keep wondering that and you know that many other books were up for it the same year, up for the award. You know that perhaps if it had been a different committee you wouldn't have won it, if the competition had been different. There are so many things." - Phyllis Reynolds Naylor


Mr. Travis Jonker (A.K.A. 100 Scope Notes) designed the book on the right.

Have you ever watched the Shiloh movie? I need to see if the Naperville Public Library owns the DVD. 
Borrow Shiloh from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment