Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Author-illustrator Mike Boldt

Call me impatient, but I could not wait until Friday to share how author-illustrator Mike Boldt finished my sentences.  Why? Because approximately twenty minutes ago he released the book trailer for his hilarious picture book, 123 Versus ABC. I wrote the words in red, and he wrote the words in black. Thank you, Mike! 

You should read 123 Versus ABC if you like books about two different themes arguing as to who the book is really about. could read it even if you don’t like those kinds of books. Either way works for me.

123 Versus ABC’s illustrations are made out of only the healthiest of ingredients (100% digital). I sketched, drew, and colored everything on my computer using a program called Corel Painter. It’s neato.

I hope kids say “again” after reading 123 Versus ABC. But if they could say part or all of either the alphabet or their counting (up to 26) afterwards, that would be really amazing!

Little Jack Horner Live from the Corner and The Gophers in Farmer Burrows' Field are two other books I’ve illustrated that both happen to contain a dog, some silly animals, a few confused people, and some fairly ridiculous situations. The Little Jack Horner book was my first opportunity to illustrate someone else’s story (Helaine Becker) which turned out to be a great experience.

Book trailers puzzle me whether they are worth it or not, but either way, I sure enjoy making them. I also enjoy watching them, especially the ones by Dan Santat.

Picture books are important! I believe they are parts of our imaginations landing in physical form which I hope inspire our dreams to take off again. I consider it a huge privilege to be able to make them.

Reading is one of my favorite things to see my kids (and others) doing. I don’t mind it either!

Mr. Schu, you should have asked me why we Canadians say “eh” eh.

I am giving away a copy of 123 Versus ABC.

Rules for the Giveaway 

1. It will run from 7/24 to 11:59 P.M. on 7/26. 

2. You must be at least 13. 

3. Please pay it forward. 

Borrow 123 Versus ABC from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

1 comment:

  1. I saw the "123 vs. ABC" book on the Barnes shelf and HAD to pick it up! SO beautifully illustrated and such an entertaining, fresh way to present numbers and letters! :D