Monday, July 29, 2013

Mrs. P's 5th Annual Be-A-Famous Writer Contest

Calling all Teachers! Looking for a project to add a little "Magic" to your classroom? Have your class enter Mrs. P’s 5th Annual “Be-A-Famous-Writer” Contest.

To celebrate the 5th year of Mrs. P's annual writing contest, she's made some changes and the contest is now for classrooms only. Parents can still participate by telling their child's teacher about it. 

Entry Dates: September 1, 2013. 

Contest Closes: November 15, 2013

Winners Announced: January 15, 2014

Mrs. P invites your class to write a story on the topic of MAGIC, no less than 250 words and not to exceed 1,000 words. It may be fiction or non-fiction. Any classroom from kindergarten through 4th grade may enter. Just one story per classroom. It can be a collaborative story, or you can have your class vote on which child's story to enter. And there's no more database to enter, or permission slips to sign. You, the teacher, just email the story. CLICK HERE TO READ THE OFFICIAL RULES

(Information posted with permission.)  

I interviewed Mrs. P. last year. It is worth sharing again. 

Mr. Schu: What inspired you to start the Be-A-Famous-Writer Contest?

Mrs. P: Technology has helped make entertainment for children immersive and visually spectacular. All the kid has to do, really, is sit there and be entertained. I thought it would be nice to offer an option that requires the child to use her or his own imagination and creativity. I'd hate for that to become a lost art. On a more selfish level, I started the contest because I love to read stories written by kids. They can be so funny and surprising and beautiful.

Mr. Schu: I tell all of my students about Thank you for your entertaining stories and interactive activities. What are you most proud of on the site?

Mrs. P: I love reading to kids, and with my videos, I’m able to reach more of them than I ever could in person. It makes me happy to know that thousands of kids are listening to classic stories and using their imaginations - and if they’re using my read-along feature, improving their reading skills.

Mr. Schu: Please share three of your favorite picture books.

Mrs P: Oh, my, what a challenging assignment! There are so many I love - but I understand you may not have room here for the titles of 12,000 books. Okay, three of my favorite are: Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak

Where the Sidewalk Ends, by Shel Silverstein

Horton Hears a Who, by Dr. Seuss.

Oh, dear, I’m already thinking I should’ve included Goodnight, Moon and The Giving Tree. But I’ll stop now.

Mr. Schu: Reading is…

Mrs. P: …what you’re doing right now!

Visit the official site for the Be-A-Famous Writer Contest.

Visit to explore interactive digital storybooks.

1 comment:

  1. I think she peeked at my favorites list. ;) Lovely interview and what a fun contest!