Friday, September 13, 2013

Author Brianna Caplan Sayres

Happy Friday! Happy Roald Dahl Day! Happy International Dot Day! Wow, what a busy day! I hope you had a wonderful week and have an even better weekend. 

Every Friday, an author, an illustrator, or an educator stops by Watch. Connect. Read. to finish my sentences. Today's special guest is picture book author Brianna Caplan Sayres. I wrote the words in red, and she wrote the words in black. Many thanks, Brianna! 



Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night? is a picture book about truck moms and truck dads putting their little trucks to bed. Actually,  the whole book is a series of questions from a child who wonders how his (or her!) favorite trucks go to sleep at night. Do they do the same familiar nighttime rituals that little boys and girls do? Do they brush their teeth and clean up their toys? Do their parents give them a goodnight hug and a bedtime story? (Hint: In this book,  they do!) It is my debut picture book and it is definitely a fun bedtime book for little ones who love trucks! 


Christian Slade’s illustrations are absolutely adorable! My oldest son and I loved seeing Christian's wonderful illustrations for the Ricky Raccoon stories in Your Big Backyard magazine each month, so it was so exciting to find out that he would be the one illustrating Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?! It is amazing to me how he took each stanza of my manuscript and brought it completely to life with his incredible illustrations. Each of his trucks has such a personality! And I love the settings where he put each one! (I think my absolute favorite of his illustrations in the book may be the snowplows. I always tell my boys that I'm the mommy snow plow and they're the little boy snowplows.) 



”The Truck Stop” was a super-fun way to do an online party to celebrate the publication of "Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?". In fact, it was so much fun that I decided to leave it up as a regular part of my website. Please stop by and check it out! Thanks so much to Jeffrey Duckworth of Duck of All Trades for bringing my vision of a truck stop to life! "The Truck Stop" inspired my recently launched blog, "Brianna's Book Stop" (www.briannasbookstop.blogspot.com) This blog has another awesome illustration by Jeff at the top. My vision for the blog is sort of like a truck stop... but for books. 



My “It’s Rhyme Crime Time” workshop is a fun way to explain the challenges of writing rhyming picture books. I wear a Sherlock Holmes hat and cape to investigate "crimes of rhyme".  In a rhyming picture book, does a verse make sense but not rhyme? Or even worse, does a verse rhyme but not make sense? The kids are always excellent and enthusiastic rhyme investigators!


Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd, Pajama Time by Sandra Boynton and Night-Night, Forest Friends by Annie Bach are three of my favorite bedtime stories. (And, of course, I like Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night? quite a lot too.)

Reading is one of my favorite things to do in the entire world! And I care passionately about helping kids to love it too.


Picture books are so much fun to read again and again! Many of our favorites are memorized and quoted from around here. (Somehow whenever one of us says, "What a beautiful day!" my husband and I can't help but launch into "We're not scared. / Oh-oh! Grass! / Long, wavy grass. / We can't go over it. / We can't go under it. / Oh, no! / We've got to go through it!" And our boys grin and giggle as we say, "Swishy swashy! / Swishy Swashy! Swishy swashy!" (from the awesome We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury).) And I was so proud when my little guy started to "read" one of his new favorites, Baby Dance by Ann Taylor and Marjorie van Herde, out loud to me as a bedtime story. (He was pretty proud too!) The words of a well-loved picture book can truly become part of us!



I am giving away a copy of Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night? 
Rules for the Giveaway 

1. It will run from 9/13 to 11:59 P.M. on 9/15. 

2. You must be at least 13. 

3. Please pay it forward. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me complete your sentences! This was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete