Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Newbery Challenge: Dead End in Norvelt

Dear Mr. Sharp, 

I hope your first week of school went very well. I'm looking forward to connecting with your students on Skype and during our Mock Caldecott unit. 

Have a great weekend!

Your friend,


Please visit Colby Sharp's blog to watch his latest video for the Newbery Challenge. 

Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2011.

"I think for kids there is a huge blind spot. What's tomorrow going to be like?" -Jack Gantos

Jack Gantos thanks the 2012 Newbery committee.

Becky Anderson sits down with Jack Gantos.

Jack's 2012 Newbery Medal acceptance speech. 

"For Dead End in Norvelt, Jack won a long-overdue Newbery Award, one that recognizes his singular voice and contribution. In the end Jack has always kept faith with children like himself; boys and girls who want to read something funny, bizarre, and unusual. He understands those readers need to encounter both children and cats who misbehave from time to time." -Anita Silvey 

Jack Gantos presented at the 2011 National Book Festival. 

"My sister had a journal, a little diary, and she would write in it. I was kind of a copycat — like a younger brother type and so I would watch her. And I thought, 'Dang, she's so good at that.' Then I thought, 'Well, if I read it, I'll probably be as smart as she is,' because she was always smarter than me." - Jack Gantos


  1. What committe meeting did you attend in NYC that made its decision that you will announce in January?

    1. The National Ambassador for Young People's Literature