Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Meet Ivan and Ruby

(This conversation took place in my library yesterday.)

Me: Good afternoon, 5th grade!

5th Grade: Good afternoon, Mr. Schu!


Me: How are you today? 


5th Grade: Well! How are you? 


Me: I am excellent! 


Me: May I please share some very nerdy and exciting news with you? I'll simply burst if I don't talk about it. 


5th Grade: OK. 


Me: What are the library's printers named?


5th Grade: Cubs and Sox. 


Me: I've never been a fan of those names. They were named before I was the librarian. We received two new printers today. As soon as I saw them, the perfect names popped into my head. I'll give you a clue: the names can be found in my all-time favorite book. 


5th Grade: (SHOUTING) The One and Only Ivan


A 5th Grader in the front row: I know! You named the printers Ivan and Ruby. 


Me: BINGO! Isn't that the best news of the day?   


5th Grade: Yes! 


Me: I love brave Ivan. I love little Ruby. I love Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan. Thanks for letting me share this news with you. Now, let's start today's lesson. 




Meet Ivan and Ruby 




I added images. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you name your printers, period! lol Great choices, Mr. Schu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, writersideup.com! What great connections to the most wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete