Friday, August 15, 2014

Author-illustrator Jonathan Bean

I put my Friday sentence starters series on the shelf for a few weeks because of my epic road trip. I'm taking the series off that high shelf that you see over there in the corner and welcoming author-illustrator Jonathan Bean to this virtual stage. 
Jonathan and I chatted about Deborah Underwood, a clean apartment, school libraries, picture books, and reading. I wrote the words in red, and he wrote the words in black. Many thanks, Jonathan!  


The cover illustration for Bad Bye, Good Bye tells the story of the book in a nutshell because the title is also an abridged version of the story.

Deborah Underwood and I live on opposite coasts. Careful observers of our book will discover who I think should move where so that we can finally meet face to face.




Cleaning cheers me up when I’m having a bad day at the drawing board. A clean apartment feels like a fresh piece of drawing paper.

Whenever I visit a school library, I look first at the most worn books. Which books have stuck around the longest or gotten the most love?



Picture books are slim saplings on the shelf but branching oaks in hand.

Reading is like throwing open all the windows on a breezy day.




 Mr. Schu, you should have asked me why I sleep on my artwork? When I moved into my current apartment I didn’t know where to put my biggest set of flat files, so I dispensed with a bedframe and threw my mattress on top of them. I now sleep more peacefully than ever!



I am giving away one copy of Bad Bye, Good Bye


Rules for the Giveaway 

1. It will run from 8/15 to 11:59 p.m. on 8/17. 

2. You must be at least 13. 

3. If you win, please pay it forward. 


Borrow Bad Bye, Good Bye from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

1 comment:

  1. That was a fun interview! I like that he sleeps on his art.

    ReplyDelete