Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The 6th Annual K-4 Mrs. P's Be-a-Famous Writer Contest




Where and when would you go if you could travel in time?  That is the theme of this year's Be-a-Famous Writer contest.  I thought that kids would love the idea of writing about escaping to another place in time, and that teachers could use it as a class project inspiring ideas of past explorers or inventors, or thinking about what advances might happen in the future.   It’s an ideal opportunity to explore some times and places other than our own. Will the time machine take me to the past or to the future?
The contest is for classrooms only and is FREE to enter. Parents you can still participate by telling your child's teacher about it.
  • ENTRY DATES: SEPTEMBER 1, 2014.
  • Contest Closes: November 15, 2014
  • Winners Announced January 15, 2015
  • For classrooms K - 4th grade
Click here to learn more about Mrs. P's Be-a-Famous Writer Contest.


I interviewed Mrs. P. two years ago. It is worth sharing again. 


Mr. Schu: What inspired you to start the Be-A-Famous-Writer Contest?


Mrs. P: Technology has helped make entertainment for children immersive and visually spectacular. All the kid has to do, really, is sit there and be entertained. I thought it would be nice to offer an option that requires the child to use her or his own imagination and creativity. I'd hate for that to become a lost art. On a more selfish level, I started the contest because I love to read stories written by kids. They can be so funny and surprising and beautiful.

Mr. Schu: I tell all of my students about MrsP.com. Thank you for your entertaining stories and interactive activities. What are you most proud of on the site?

Mrs. P: I love reading to kids, and with my videos, I’m able to reach more of them than I ever could in person. It makes me happy to know that thousands of kids are listening to classic stories and using their imaginations - and if they’re using my read-along feature, improving their reading skills.



Mr. Schu: Please share three of your favorite picture books.

Mrs P: Oh, my, what a challenging assignment! There are so many I love - but I understand you may not have room here for the titles of 12,000 books. Okay, three of my favorite are: Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak


Where the Sidewalk Ends, by Shel Silverstein

Horton Hears a Who, by Dr. Seuss.

Oh, dear, I’m already thinking I should’ve included Goodnight, Moon and The Giving Tree. But I’ll stop now.

Mr. Schu: Reading is…


Mrs. P: …what you’re doing right now!


1 comment: