Friday, January 23, 2015

Author-illustrator Paulette Bogan

What can I see from where I'm sitting right now? 

Let's see.

*A copy of Virgil and Owen


*A copy of Dear Hank Williams 


*Lou Grant 


*This lovely illustration 








Doesn't it make you smile? I love Virgil and Owen. Author-illustrator Paulette Bogan dropped by to tell us about these adorable friends. I wrote the words in red, and she wrote the words in black. Thank you, Paulette! 

Virgil is a penguin and Owen is a young polar bear. He is quiet, and steady, and sweet. He likes to think things through, and take his time. Virgil, on the other hand can’t do things quickly enough, has a hard time sitting still, and is NOT a ‘look before you leap’ kind of guy.

I created the illustrations for Virgil and Owen with Winsor & Newton watercolours and Micron pens on Arches 140 LB. cold press watercolor paper. Each painting took from three to eight hours.


If you visited my studio you would see tons of picture books, Patrick from Sponge Bob, Gumby, Crush, the turtle from Finding Nemo, penguins everywhere, coffee cups filled with colored pencils, paintbrushes, and butter knives, glue sticks, scissors, and hair clips, pigs, a big mess, and two dogs sleeping on the floor.

Did you know Vincent Van Gogh did not cut off his ear, only a little bit of his earlobe? Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak is only ten sentences long? Ricky Ricardo worked at the Tropicana?


Picture books are worth a thousand words … or less, one of my favorite things in the whole world, a great way to start a lifetime of reading and looking at art.

Reading is my absolute favorite thing to do, especially before I go to sleep. I used to read a book while riding my bike with no hands. Now I read lying down. It’s much safer.


Mr. Schu, you should have asked me if I have ever ridden a mechanical bull.



(Yes, I have, but I was NOT reading while riding.)


I am giving away a copy of Virgil and Owen

Rules for the Giveaway 

1. It will run from 1/23 to 11:59 p.m. on 1/25. 

2. You must be at least 13. 

3. If you win, please pay it forward. 




Borrow Virgil and Owen  from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

3 comments:

  1. This looks terrific. We'll get one from our local independent bookstore, Bookstore Santa Cruz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this peek behind the book! But three to eight hours?!!!!!! CLEARLY, I gotta get some micron pens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mr. Schu, for the great interview!

    ReplyDelete