Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The How to Grow a Friend Trifecta

Happy Tuesday! The Nerdy Book Club, Colby Sharp, and I are celebrating Sarah Gillingham's How to Grow a Friend. I hope you find this book as cheerful and special as my students and I did. 

I recently realized it has been a L-O-N-G time since I wrote a blog post in which I shared how my students responded to a book. Sorry about that! I am going to make up for it right now by sharing how my students and I responded to How to Grow a Friend. Ready? 

*"The illustrations are very colorful." -1st grader

*"The green worm on the endpapers is cute." -1st grader 

*It makes me want to grow vegetables." -2nd grader 

*The illustrations are made up of interesting shapes." 2nd grader 

*It is important to be a good friend." -2nd grader 

*The illustrations made me smile." -2nd grader 

"It is the perfect picture book to help us discuss friendship. It reminds us to take the time to appreciate and explore nature. Thank you, Sara!" -Mr. Schu 

*"You should listen to your friends." -1st grader 

*"Good friends work together." -2nd grader 

*I am going to do something nice for one of my friends this week." -1st grader

*You should try your best to be a good friend." -2nd grader 

*"My favorite page is when the kids are looking up. 'Good friends make things brighter.'" -1st grader 

"You should do your best to include everyone." -2nd grader

*I'm going to read How to Grow a Friend to my little sister." -2nd grader 

*I'm going to be a better friend in 2015." -2nd grader 

*How to Grow a Friend gives you a recipe to help you become a great friend." -2nd grader 

Please visit Colby's blog to see how his students responded to How to Grow a Friend

"Well, hello Nerdy Book Club! I'm guessing that a lot of us were avid readers, possibly even book-hoarders when we were young. And, probably have some words and pictures from those children's books etched in our brains." -Sara Gullingham | Click here to read the full post. 

I am giving away a copy of How to Grow a Friend. 

Rules for the Giveaway 

1. It will run from 11/6 to 11:59 p.m. on 11/8. 

2. You must be at least 13. 

3. If you win, please pay it forward. 

Borrow How to Grow a Friend from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great book on kindness and thanks for sharing your students responses. This is what sharing books is all about! You rock, Mr. Schu!