Thursday, February 5, 2015

Caldecott Medalist Jon Klassen

I hope you enjoyed reading about the phone calls Newbery Honor authors Jacqueline Woodson and Cece Bell received early Monday morning. This behind-the-scenes information makes my booktalks and presentations more interesting and unique.  



I thought it would be fun to check in with this year's Caldecott winners. I cannot guarantee  every illustrator will agree to an interview, but I hope to hear a YES from most of them.



First up is Jon Klassen, the recipient of a 2015 Caldecott Honor for Sam and Dave Dig a Hole.

Mr. Schu: Everyone loves hearing about THE CALL. What ran through your head when the phone rang? What were you thinking about when the Caldecott committee was clapping? 

Jon Klassen: I had just gotten a different phone the day before and I actually hadn't gotten a call on it yet, and it turned out the ringer was off, so it was just vibrating away on the little wooden shelf next to my bed and it was a different vibrate-y sound than my old phone so I didn't think it was ringing at first, I just thought it was freaking out in a weird new-phone way at 4:30 am and I was mad at it. That mood changed pretty quickly though. The committee clapping on the other end was the best. It's such a strange and special and great feeling to have a whole group clapping for you when just a minute ago you didn't know they were all assembled and about to call you. It's the best.



Mr. Schu: What does the Caldecott mean to you?

Jon Klassen: It's hugely reassuring. This book was a different one for Mac and me, and we'd wrestled with it a lot. The result was something visually pretty straightforward and most of the interest in the book is in what these drawings mean instead of how interesting they are to look at on their own, technically. It would be understandable if it didn't impress people from an illustration point of view. It's so great that the committee seems to have understood the work that went into the choices of what to show, and the story itself. I share it right down the middle with Mac, because it really can't be separated from the story and his text and direction all along the way.




Please finish this sentence starter: 

Reading is worth it.

Mr. Schu: Thank you, Jon! I cannot wait to celebrate Sam and Dave Dig a Hole in San Francisco. 


Borrow Sam and Dave Dig a Hole from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

3 comments:

  1. John, this was a delightful post with so much news. The videos of Sam and Dave Dig A Hole are so engaging that I cannot imagine children not gravitating to it. Reading is Worth It and Matters!

    I am looking forward to more of your interviews with award winning authors and illustrators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, this was a delightful post with so much news. The videos of Sam and Dave Dig A Hole are so engaging that I cannot imagine children not gravitating to it. Reading is Worth It and Matters!

    I am looking forward to more of your interviews with award winning authors and illustrators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this series, appreciate the insights! :)

    ReplyDelete