Thursday, February 12, 2015

Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki

I hope you enjoyed reading about the phone calls Newbery Honor authors Jacqueline Woodson and Cece Bell received last week. This behind-the-scenes information makes my booktalks and presentations more interesting and unique.

I thought it would be fun to check in with this year's Caldecott winners. I cannot guarantee every illustratior will agree to an interview, but I hope to hear a YES from most of them.

Today's special guests are Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki! 

Photograph Credit: Mariko Tamaki 

This One Summeby Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki | First Second | 2015 Caldecott Honor | Interest level: Grades 8 and up 

Everyone loves hearing about THE CALL. What ran through your head when the phone rang? 

Mariko Tamaki: I was in San Francisco when I got the call, surrounded by vintage 80's sweaters.  I am not usually a fan of speaker phone, but this was pretty nice.  It felt like I'd walked into a surprise birthday party.

Jillian Tamaki: I was just really confused as to why an "Unknown" caller was calling me so early in the morning. I was still in bed! I had to move into a new apartment that day, so that definitely made it a little more enjoyable.

From This One Summer 

What does the Caldecott mean to you?

Mariko Tamaki: That more people will read the book.  Which is awesome.

Jillian Tamaki: That maybe I'm not wasting my time with this whole comics thing. I'm glad comics are being recognized for their content and stories. It's a huge honour.

From This One Summer 

Please finish this sentence starter: 

Reading is essential. (Mariko Tamaki) 

Reading is a fun thing to do any of time of day, under any weather conditions. (Jillian Tamaki)

Borrow This One Summer from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment