Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Who Was? Adventure App

My school library owns almost all the titles in the Who Was? and Who Is? series. My students refer to them as the bobble head biographies. 


I can see the section where the books live from where I'm sitting right now. How many titles do you think are available? The answer may not surprise you. ZERO! They are ALL checked out. My students LOVE these books!


Did you know there is a Who Was? Adventure app? Adam Royce, the VP of Digital Content Development at Penguin Young Readers, dropped by to chat with me about it. I wrote the words in orange, and he wrote the words in black. Thank you, Adam!

The Who Was? Adventure app is a great way to test your knowledge of some of history’s most fascinating figures. Gameplay was inspired by classic arcade favorites and includes time limits, obstructions, power-ups, and more. You can play in Adventure mode, with nearly 10 hours of continuous game play, or challenge your friends and classmates in Arcade mode for endless trivia fun.

Did you know Abraham Lincoln loved playing practical jokes? That Amelia Earhart once tried to build a roller coaster in her backyard? That George Lucas and Steven Spielberg came up with the idea for Indiana Jones on a beach in Hawaii? Learn more fun facts like these by playing the Who Was? Adventure app!


You can download the Who Was? Adventure app on Apple’s App Store—it’s available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. 

I think young readers are drawn to the Who Was?, What Was?, and Where Is? Series because they are informative and fun to read without going into too much detail. Each book in the series is full of interesting facts that people may not know, and the bobble head cover designs make the books very collectible.


The Who Was? website is a great place to learn more about the best-selling series, create your own lists of Who Was? books you’ve read and want to read, and explore educator resources to spark classroom activities and discussions. 


When I was in elementary school I would have loved this app. I was a reluctant reader at that age and was more interested in playing outside. But games such as Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego really caught my attention with creative gameplay and taught me a thing or two also. I think our Who Was Adventure app achieves the same thing for both fans of the Who Was series along with people discovering the brand or the game for the first time.


Mr. Schu, you should have asked me what my high score is!? 


Download the Who Was? Adventure app here. Borrow the books in the Who Was? and Who Is? series from your school or public library. 

2 comments:

  1. I just added these to my collection this year and can't keep them on the shelves! Kids love them! I am so excited to introduce this app :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to see if I can find this collection at my library for summer reading and games for my granddaughters (and myself). I live in Sevierville, TN which is where Dolly is from and she is a wonderful person and has helped this area so much. My son got a hug from her when he was in kindergarten and I told him that even though he was too young to know it, he was where most men would love to be!

    ReplyDelete