Monday, June 29, 2015

Speeches, Vines, and Photographs from the Newbery-Caldecott-Wilder Banquet

Before you look at the photographs and vines from the 2015 Newbery-Caldecott-Wilder Banquet, I highly recommend reading Kwame Alexander's, Dan Santat's, and Donald Crews'  acceptance speeches. Their words will inspire you, make you cry, and leave you feeling proud and honored to live in a world in which such remarkable people are creating the best books for young readers.

I loved watching Cece Bell's reaction to her EL DEAFO cake.

What do you think ran through Cece's head as she cut into her character's head?

You can hear the energy in the room.

I had one of the best seats in the house.

Congratulations, Lauren Castillo! 

w00t! w00t! w00t!

Congratulations, Kwame!

This is my all-time favorite vine. I wish I didn't have to rush it at the end, but I only had 1% battery left. Isn't that an annoying feeling? 




Jennifer Reed's Beekle purse 

Victoria Stapleton's Beekle earrings 

The Newbery-Caldecott-Wilder programs 

Look inside the program. 

Caldecott Medalist Dan Santat models his Beekle tie.

Newbery Medalist Kwame Alexander looks dashing in his blueberry/Newbery suit. :) 


  1. Looks like so much fun! And what a cool cake :)

  2. Thank you for sharing all this author-love. I just read Dan Santat's speech. I loved it almost as much as I loved Beekle - and that's saying a lot. I think Beekle will forever remain my all time favorite picture book. Mr. Santat certainly is good enough. :)

  3. Wonderful! The awards banquet is so amazing.This is almost as good as being there. OK, that's a lie. It's not, but it's better than nothing and captures some great moments:>)