Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Frankie Liked to Sing Trifecta

The Nerdy Book Club, Mr. Colby Sharp, and I are celebrating Frankie Liked to Sing. Have fun jumping from blog to blog! :) 

Frankie Liked to Sing tells the story of little Frank Sinatra!! And why he was always such a determined little oddball. He was so driven, from such an early age - his plucky strong-willed spirit is something that every child could use at least a bit of. John and I are both Sinatra fans, and always thought his story would be really fun to share with kids.

John Seven and I really love eating snacks together. Also, we’ve been married and have been creating books and comics together for over 25 years. We saw Sinatra sing in concert together and we got all dressed up for it when we were in our 20s. But mostly, we love eating snacks together. 

I created the illustrations for Frankie Liked to Sing while listening to a lot of Frank Sinatra, reading about Sinatra, in between watching Sinatra movies, remembering how I felt when I saw him singing live, and trying to imagine what he was like as a young boy. 

Make sure you take off Frankie Liked to Sing’s dust jacket because there’s a different illustration hiding underneath!! 
”That’s Life” is John’s favorite Sinatra song. My favorite is Come Fly With Me. It’s dreamy. 

Picture books are my favorite form of expression. They were my first introduction to art (like most kids) , and what I turn to for inspiration. They’re also a kind of filter that I can see the world through. I tell John lame picture book stories all the time, about birds and sheep and going for rides on whales, which is probably really annoying. But for me, they’re an Anything-Can-Happen lens. 

Reading is how I find out about other people and other worlds. It’s how I satisfy my curiosity , how I stimulate my imagination and how I calm my nerves at the end of every day. My favorite time as a child was being read to by my mom. It was just the two of us, no distractions, calm and peaceful. And it was one of my very favorite things to do with my kids from the time they were first born til they were in their teens. We built a little world around ourselves with books and it was beautiful. 

Mr. Schu, you should have asked me about the tour of Hoboken that we did with the Frank Sinatra impersonator. You really should have. 

The questions Jana and I most often get, being a married couple that makes children’s books together, usually involve our process, that is, how it works, who comes up with what, how a book is formed. The simple answer is: Lots of ways, and no two books are alike. | Click here to read the rest of John's post. 

The hardest thing is picking which stories to develop further past the manuscript stage. I want them all to be completely illustrated books, but there is only so much time in the day. | Click here to read the rest of the interview. 

Borrow Frankie Liked to Sing from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment