Friday, February 19, 2016

Three Questions and Three Sentence Starters with Alexandra Penfold

Hi, Alexandra Penfold! Welcome to Watch. Connect. Read. Thank you for dropping by to chat about your debut picture book, Eat, Sleep, Poop! 

Wow! What a FUN title and cover illustration! It makes me laugh out loud whenever I look at it. Please book talk Eat, Sleep, Poop using no more than 140 characters. Twitter style! 

Alexandra: Eat, Sleep, Poop! is a tender look at life inside and outside of the crib from a baby’s-eye view, perfect for new parents and siblings-to-be.

What ran through your head the first time you saw Eat, Sleep, Poop's cover illustration? 

Alexandra: Aw, baby! I just love, love, love Jane Massey's illustrations. She does such a wonderful job capturing so many sweet and funny moments in a young baby's life. And she's the master of those subtle micro-expressions that babies make. 

I always enjoy reading your book-related tweets. Please share some forthcoming books that you're excited about. 

Alexandra: 2016 is really shaping up to be a terrific picture book year! I'm also a children's book agent and I'm looking forward to new books from my clients Jessixa Bagley, Liz Wong, Meghan McCarthy, Suzanne Kaufman, and Adam Lehrhaupt. I can't wait to get my hands on Lucy Ruth Cummins' picture book, A Hungry Lion, or A Dwindling Assortment of Animals, Stephen Savage's The Mixed-Up Truck and Bob Shea's The Happiest Book Ever.

Please finish these sentence starters: 

School libraries are the best!

Picture books open new worlds to children of all ages. 

Mr. Schu, you should have asked me about my other upcoming picture books, We Are Brothers, We Are Friends, illustrated by Eda Kaban and Food Truck Fest, illustrated by Mike Dutton, both due out from FSG in 2017.

Look for Eat, Sleep, Poop on September 13. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I think children should be able to identify (at any age) about this. Maybe we can hear about the brother book next time.