Monday, March 28, 2016

Cover Reveal AND First Listen: Divya Srinivasan Illustrates GRIMM'S FAIRY TALES Audio Collection

Dear Divya Srinivasan,

Happy Monday! Welcome back to Watch. Connect. Read.! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to finish my sentences. I had fun chatting with you about your beautiful cover art for Grimm's Fairy Tales, "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," and school libraries. 

Have a wonderful week!

Your fan,


I created the cover art for Grimm’s Fairy Tales audio collection late at night, after my newborn daughter fell asleep (and before she woke up again crying for a night feeding). I read the stories aloud to her, and took notes on images I thought might represent the stories well. I also made notes in my journal about things in the stories that surprised me. I hadn't read them in so long, and I knew some were gory, but I'd forgotten the details. Rumplestiltskin is a creepy little guy! I usually like to work for many hours in a row, but this was the first time I wasn't able to because I needed to take care of the baby. But that just meant I got to be in the world of Grimm's tales for more days, which was fun!

One of my favorite fairy tales is "The Shoes That  Were Danced to Pieces", or, as it was titled in the Grimm's collection I had as a child, "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." I loved the idea of a secret chamber under the palace that was a world of its own with silver, gold, and diamond trees, and a lake, and yet another castle where elegant parties took place! And of course the candy and cake house in Hansel and Gretel is pretty dreamy.

Photograph Credit: Divya Srinivasan 
I think fairy tales have a pull because wonderful 
things will happen along with something horribly dark, and I have no clue if the story will end well for the heroes or not. I just have to keep reading to see what happens, and it's always something interesting and unpredictable. The touch of horror in the stories scared me as a kid, but also drew me in. Even though reading in the car used to make me physically queasy, I couldn't put down my book of Grimm's stories. I'd read it over and over until I was sick.  Every culture seems to have its own tradition of fairy tales… stories full of magic and wonder. My collection of Grimm's tales and my comic books of Indian stories, were among the first books I was excited to read on my own.

Photograph Credit: Divya Srinivasan 
School libraries are amazing places to visit, even as an adult. When I do presentations at schools, they often take place in the library. I see so many books I would love read and own, and I try to jot down unfamiliar ones recommended by the librarian, and others that catch my eye. Some books in school libraries might be older versions and have beautiful illustrations that aren't published anymore… such treasures! Whenever I meet a wonderful school librarian (which is often!), I know the students in that school are in great hands.

Mr. Schu, you should have asked me if I hid my daughter and niece's names on the Grimm's Fairy Tales cover art. 

Read by a cast of award-winning narrators, this collection from Listening Library contains some of the most timeless and enchanting folk and fairy tales collected by the Brothers Grimm. Audiobook cover artwork by Divya Srinivasan. 

On Sale Date: May 10.

Stories include:
Rapunzel, read by Katherine Kellgren

Cinderella, read by January LaVoy

Little Red-Cap, read by Simon Vance

Little Briar-Rose, read by Grover Gardner

Little Snow-White, read by Kate Rudd

Rumpelstiltskin, read by Jim Dale

The Shoes That Were Danced to Pieces, read by Alfred Molina

A Riddling Tale, read by Janis Ian

The Twelve Brothers, read by Graeme Malcolm

The White Snake, read by Scott Brick

The Elves, read by Bahni Turpin

The Six Swans, read by Davina Porter

The Twelve Huntsmen, read by Dion Graham

The Goose-Girl, read by Edoardo Ballerini

Sweet Porridge, read by Jayne Entwistle

The Golden Goose, read by Luke Daniels

Eve’s Various Children, read by Roy Dotrice

Snow-White and Rose-Red, read by Julia Whelan

The Frog-King, or Iron Henry, read by Kirby 

The Sea-Hare, read by Mark Bramhall

Hansel and Gretel, read by Robin Miles

For more information, visit 

1 comment:

  1. Love the cover and interview, Divya and Mr. Schu. Hope I can find the names. Any hints?