Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Ada’s Ideas: The Story of Ada Lovelace, the World’s First Computer Programmer by Fiona Robinson

Hi, Fiona Robinson! Thank you for dropping by to finish my sentences. I had fun chatting with you about Ada Lovelace, X-acto blades, picture books, and Anna Atkins. 

Thank you, Mr. Schu! 


The book trailer for Ada’s Ideas: The Story of Ada Lovelace, the World’s First Computer Programmer was a lot of fun to do! I've never had my work animated before, and though the process was tricky, it was magical to see cogs spinning, butterflies flitting, a horse flying!


If you look under the dust jacket you'll see a case cover featuring hole punched Jacquard loom cards. Ada based her computer program for Babbage's Analytical Engine on similar cards.


Photo and illustration credit: Fiona Robinson 
I created the illustrations in 3D and used over 500 X-acto blades! Luckily I have all my fingers intact...

Illustration credit: Fiona Robinson
I think Ada Lovelace was a fascinating woman. Unfortunately though some of her exploits were not suitable for a picture book!



Picture books are many things to a child; an adventure, a safe haven, a friend.

Mr. Schu, you should have asked me what my next book is about! Well, it's another picture book bio, this time about Anna Atkins, a Victorian lady who created the world's first book of photographs.



Borrow Ada's Ideas from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment