Friday, September 23, 2016

Book Trailer Premiere for I Will Not Eat You by Adam Lehrhaupt and Scott Magoon

Hi, Adam! Welcome back to Watch. Connect. Read! 

Adam Lehrhapt: Hi, Mr. Schu! 

Hi, Scott! I cannot believe this is your first time here. 

Scott Magoon: Hello, Mr. Schu! 

Thank you for allowing me to premiere the trailer for I Will Not Eat You. I'm grateful you finished my sentences, too! :) 


The book trailer for I Will Not Eat You is SUSPENSEFUL! In the book itself, the suspense builds until Theodore needs to make a big choice. I tried to capture that (without giving too much away!) in the trailer, too.

Scott Magoon’s illustrations had me doing the happy dance all over my house. Seriously! I'm not kidding. I've been a huge Scott Magoon fan for a long time. Secret: I even told the good folks at S&S how much I liked Scott's art during one of my very first conversations with them back in 2010. And they remembered! I'm so unbelievably happy they paired us up for this book. I think Scott's EAT YOU art is PERFECT! Bonus Secret: I sometimes hug it. It's THAT good.



Theodore is a little bit like me. Okay, he's a LOT like me. He can be grumpy. He likes things to stay the same. He thinks EVERYTHING is food. (I love food too!) But, as we see through the story, Theodore's not SO set in his ways that he can't change a little...

One of the things I didn't mention about Scott's awesome art on our book is all the little details he included. From the first endpapers where Theodore’s cave is in a bleak and desolate world, to a funny little surprise when the bird flies away (dare you not to laugh!) to the fantastic wordless spread and right to the final endpages, where Theodore’s world is ripe with color and possibilities... WHEW! It's just an amazing visual ride. I hope readers love it as much as I do.





I think the book trailer for I Will Not Eat You features the most perfect piece of music ever selected for a book trailer! It is entitled "In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Mr. Edvard Grieg. Its title could almost be our book’s title. Great choice, Adam! Crank it up.

I created the illustrations for I Will Not Eat You so that the cave gets closer and closer and closer as you turn the pages—to build suspense.


When you look under the dust jacket you’ll see what happens.

Picture books are like a cave—you’ll never know what is inside until you go in.


Borrow I Will Not Eat You from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 


No comments:

Post a Comment