Sunday, September 25, 2016

Book Trailer Premiere for Max Speed by Stephen Shaskan

Hi, Stephen Shaskan! Welcome back to Watch. Connect. Read. It has been a long time since you last dropped by. November 11, 2011, to be exact!

Stephen Shaskan: It’s been too long. The last time I was here my debut picture book A Dog is a Dog was just released. Since then, I’ve written and illustrated my second picture book The Three Triceratops Tuff, illustrated Punk Skunks written by Trisha Speed Shaskan (my awesome wife), and most recently, I have written and illustrated Max Speed.

You’ve been busy!

Stephen Shaskan: You’ve been very busy yourself. Congratulations on all your continued success! Thank you for being such a wonderful advocate for children and children’s literature.

Thank you for all you do! And thank you for finishing my sentences. :) 

The book trailer for Max Speed sets out to capture the adventure that awaits the reader.  I really wanted to create a high adrenaline Harold and the Purple Crayon.

On a pedagogical side, the book is a fun approach to many common childhood fears that are often acted out during imaginative play. While I was a preschool teacher, a day didn’t go by that I didn’t hear the words “hot lava.”

Max likes fast cars, jet packs, and adventure!

I think Max’s car is awesome! It’s based on a 1954 Aston Martin DB2/4 Spider (Aston Martin, if you are listening you can send me an email and I’ll send you my address so you can deliver my new car for all this free advertising). To me, this car really screams toy car. James Bond drives a different model of Aston Martin. When I was a child, I had a bedspread that had an old timey car covering the whole thing. I would pretend that it was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which was written by Ian Fleming who also wrote James Bond.

Reading is a powerful means to learning, thinking, questioning, playing, creating, and doing.

Picture books are a gateway to literacy and visual literacy. They reflect the world of children and connect them to words and images. They are also: mighty, beautiful, fantastic, stunning, funny, and loving.

Look for Max Speed on October 11, 2016. 

No comments:

Post a Comment