Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Happy book birthday to Gertie's Leap to Greatness!

Hi, Kate Beasley! Hooray! Gertie’s book birthday is finally here! Thank you for celebrating this big day with the Nerdy Book Club, Colby Sharp, and me.

Kate: Thank you, Mr. Schu!


I wrote the words in orange, and Kate wrote the words in black.
Gertie’s Leap to Greatness tells the story of a girl on a mission to be the best fifth grader in the universe.
Great-Aunt Rae thinks that Gertie already is the most important person in the universe. She also thinks that you shouldn’t buy anything that isn’t on sale.

I wrote Gertie’s Leap to Greatness over the course of three years, on two different laptops, on scraps of paper, on the windows in dry-erase marker, in coffee shops, in a pecan orchard, in hotels, in the early morning and late at night and every time in between.
I think Jillian Tamaki’s illustrations are classic, kinetic, and delightful. I can’t pick a favorite; I love them all!

Kate DiCamillo and I met this summer at nErDcamp Michigan!!! She’s just as kind and intelligent and cool in person as I imagined she would be from reading her books. She told me to keep my eyes and heart open.
Reading is my cure-all. For boredom, anger, loneliness, small-mindedness, sadness, insatiable curiosity. There’s a book for that.

Mr. Schu, you should have asked me what I’m dressing up as for Halloween! I’m going to be the Tardis. Are you going to have a costume, Mr. Schu?


"But I suspect what early readers have responded to is Kate Beasley's surprising knack for picking out the details in human life that matter: like the slightest hint of lemon Gertie tastes in her Twinkie filling every morning; the comforting weight of a frog in a shoe box before show-and-tell; or the promise of a parent's unconditional love." -Grace Kendall | Click here to keep reading.


Please click here to read Colby's post.


Borrow a copy of Gertie's Leap to Greatness from your school or public library. Whenever possible, please support independent bookshops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment