Monday, December 5, 2016

Book Trailer Premiere: From Here to There by Sue Fliess and Christiane Engel

I'm thrilled to welcome back Sue Fliess to Watch. Connect. Read. to finish my sentences and share the adorable trailer for her latest picture book, From Here to There. Be sure to pick up a copy tomorrow on its book birthday! I hope you have the best day! :) 


The book trailer for From Here to There was a blast to make--and the first one where I do a voice-over, but it was hard not to spoil the ending! You'll see there is a lot of wordplay in the book, and I'm hoping teachers and librarians can use it as a tool to show the differences between Here and There (the words and locations), talk about friendship, missing someone who can't be near you, as well as a prompt for letter-writing activities.    


Illustration credit: Christiane Engel
Here and There are two friends that physically can't be together because Here is here, and There is, well, there. So sad, right?! They become pen pals to keep their friendship going, so the story focuses on the lost art of letter-writing and keeping in touch. But it doesn't stop at that. Fortunately, There has an inventive mind and can problem-solve! 

Christiane Engel's illustrations are the perfect match for my text. My editor wanted to find someone who has a lot of experience in hand-lettering, because the story is about two words as characters. I thought it was a challenge to write, I can only imagine what it was like to anthropomorphize words! I also love how she uses real-life images mixed with her illustrations. It gives the illustrations such depth. 


Illustration credit: Christiane Engel
Mr. Schu, you should have asked me if this is my first non-rhyming book...it is! I've submitted non-rhyming text over the years, but never seem to find homes for those manuscripts. I primarily I write in rhyme, so it was a personal goal to publish a book in prose. I am so thrilled that I've accomplished that and I hope you love this friendship book as much as I do! Thanks for letting me share my thoughts...HERE today. :) 


Look for From Here to There tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment