Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Cover Reveal for John Lockdown Is in the Building! by Sally J. Pla

Dear Sally J. Pla,

Welcome back to Watch. Connect. Read.! Thank you for dropping by to share the wonderful cover illustration for John Lockdown Is in the Building! I'm excited to celebrate it today and again in February 2018. 

Happy reading!

-John 



Dear Mr Schu,

Thank you so much for having me back!

About a year ago, I was so excited to reveal the beautiful cover of The Someday Birds here on your site a book about bird-loving, routine-loving Charlie, whose life is disrupted when he travels cross-country to see his war-injured dad.

Now, moving from Charlie’s bird-world, I hope you and your readers will enjoy traveling with me to Stanley’s comical universe.  I am SO EXCITED to be here today with the cover reveal of John Lockdown Is in the Building! My second middle-grade novel hits shelves (kapow!) on Feb. 6, 2018, thanks to HarperCollins Children’s Books!  Here’s the John Lockdown lowdown…

Nobody knows comics trivia like Stanley Fortinbras knows comics trivia.

It’s what he takes comfort in, when the world around him gets to be too much. And after Stanley faints during one of Principal Coffin’s super-scary safety drills, he levels up his love of comics by inventing an imaginary superhero named “John Lockdown” to soothe his nerves and help him through.

Help is what he needs, because Stanley’s also entered Trivia Quest – a giant comics-trivia treasure hunt – to prove he can tackle his worries, score VIP passes to Comic Fest, and win back his ex-best friend. Partnered with a fearless new neighbor, Liberty Silverberg, Stanley faces his most epic, overwhelming, challenging day ever.

What would John Lockdown do?

Stanley’s about to find out.

Okay now… Are we ready for the cover reveal?


Ahhhhh! I could stare at it for hours!  So many details on this cover refer to little things mentioned in the book.

The cover, as well as the interior cartoon art, is by the amazing Steve Wolfhard. Steve draws “Adventure Time” for Cartoon Network, as well as other quirky, cool things that you can see on his site.  I am a diehard fan! This art is a perfect fit for this story (which the word “quirky” pretty much describes). 

I’d like to extend a big thanks to David Curtis and Alison Donalty from Harper’s design department for their excellent work on this, as well as my Harper editor, the amazing and talented Jessica MacLeish.

This book was SO MUCH FUN to write! Set in my hometown of San Diego, it features a treasure hunt, with superhero trivia clues that readers can solve along with Stanley and Liberty. And there are some comics in the book! Stan secretly sketches about his many fears on an easel in a spare office. Then, one day, a mysterious artist starts cartooning back...

Okay, okay, I’ll stop now.

Thank you so much for allowing me to come visit, Mr. Schu. Thanks for letting me share my excitement – and Steve’s amazing art – with you today! 

All my very best to everyone,

Sally  


No comments:

Post a Comment