Friday, August 18, 2017

Author-illustrator Steve Light

Happy Friday! Steve Light dropped by to chat with me about book trailers, Lucky Lazlo, shapes, picture books, school libraries, and more. I wrote the words in purple, and he wrote the words in black. Thank you, Steve! 


 Swap's book trailer is such an exciting way to see my characters come alive. It is my first book trailer ever! It was done by the great Blake Hamilton. I wish it told the whole story, it would be so much fun to watch.


Lucky Lazlo tells the story of a boy in love, the people behind the scenes at a theatre, a mischievous cat and theatre superstitions. The play that is being performed is Alice in Wonderland and it was great fun to design the characters for such a classic story. Please read the author’s note where I list all the theatre superstitions I hid in the illustrations.


Have You Seen My Monster? is a book about a girl who loses her monster at the country fair. There are 20 shapes to find and learn. The 20 shapes are the 20 shapes from the Montessori shape cabinet. I used to teach at a Montessori school. I was even the storyteller there for a few years.



The boy in Have You Seen My Lunch Box? is not based on me. I very rarely misplace something, even as a kid. As a kid I had 3 older sisters so I had to keep an eye on my stuff! I have only lost 2 fountain pens my whole life!


Picture books are magical pieces of story--art that transport you to other worlds. They are treasures. I am so blessed to be able to make children’s books. I knew from a young age that I wanted to draw and make art as my life but never imagined being able to make such beautiful creations.


School libraries are safe places where you can be yourself. I used to hide in the library to escape bullies. One librarian let me sit in the stacks and read--I felt safe there because she did that. Another asked me what I liked. I said drawing and then every day there were art books left in my spot.


Mr. Schu, you should have asked me about my next board book: Blackbird Yellow Sun. I hand printed all the art for it using cardboard and printers ink. Oh, and my new picture book that comes out next year called Builders and Breakers. That one is all about demolition and construction……..and the green wall they build around construction sites in the city. You know, the ones they cut holes in so people can watch what is being built. 

No comments:

Post a Comment